Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Once upon a long ago...



...Apple released Mac OS X Public Beta. Tonight I was making some housekeeping and I stumbled upon some old screenshots of my first iMac. Pics were taken on October 1st, 2000!
The apple just in the middle of the menu bar was so strange, but a piece of art itself.
Woah, We still had Internet Explorer, and what a release!!! Great piece of software. Congrats MacBU@Microsoft. And Sherlock in the Dock!!!
As far as I can remember the most visual "shocking" thing for me at that time, was the extensive and constructive use of alpha channel in UI elements.  Very Good Thing (tm)! Along with the Finder column view, straight from X-Window, and the polished-striped Aqua interface.

Another nifty feature, was the window content preview when minimizing windows on the Dock.
As of OS 9 compatibility I admit I can't remember if SoftWindows worked on Classic, but I remember I switched to VirtualPC for emulation purposes. What a pity that SmithMicro/Insignia abandoned the emulation arena. Not to mention FAXstf pearl, that was always late with releases respect to OS X point release...so I abandoned it for PageSender.

Jeez, and what to say about the Terminal.app? basically it was sooooo FreeBSD-ish, and it really was :-) ifconfig, and ipfw!!! Ahhh... I felt at home and I decided to switch to Mac OS X!

Tomorrow it will be, 7 years since the Public Beta. It's been a long and bright way, so congrats system developers; but today we are missing a great ingredient of this recipe that during the years made the magic possible: the PowerPC.

1 comment:

windrago said...

attendo con grande tepidio il nuovo OS-X !!!