Thursday, July 05, 2007

iMac 24" dissected

Two months after I bought my new baby (a Sep2006 24" 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo iMac), its hard disk temporarily died (the mac refused to boot). I recovered everything with some nifty tools and once again it died...well..after a surface scan it revealed bad blocks, and during usage I could hear the "classic" clicks (no S.M.A.R.T. warnings though). The drive is a 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 .

Yeah, Apple offered me a free repair, but I should drive 200km to the closest authorized repair center, wait for diagnosis and repair and drive it back home. Add that to the fact this is summertime...

I didn't want risk to loose my mac for two months and spend 100 EUR for gasoline or express courier so I bought a Western Digital WD5000AAKS hard drive and replaced it myself.

Just in case somebody want to repeat it there are some pictures of the operation that lasted more or less 20minutes. Tools needed are basic: a T9 torx and a Philips screwdriver and some "glue" for temperature sensor.

iMac 24" dissected

No comments: