Sunday, July 15, 2007

Disappointed

after 10 days I swapped the hard disk of my late 2006 iMac, this morning I got into another problem :/ What's up this time? BAD RAM!
Yeah...this morning I got up late, woke from sleep my mac, and after a few minutes it got a panic. I thought to myself: "wow, first panic!!!" since I never got one on this machine (I bought it in March). Rebooted the machine, and it kept chiming at 15 seconds interval...just a fews secs after it read the first boot blocks :/ Hmmm...immediately, I booted off the diagnostic software (thank god it booted)...and after a few secs: tadaaah...diags told me 4MEM/1/40000000 (0xbc8f8310, for the records)!!!!

Removing the module solved the problem. I tried to remove the "good" module, but in that case the machine didn't even get to the boot chime. I swapped the modules, same effect. I tried to put it back in place and...nada! So I only had to remove it forever and...wait until tomorrow, calling Apple Care and see if they'll take their badram back without requiring me to send over the machine.

2 comments:

volpedue said...

Good news! Apple Support decided to send me over a new memory module as a DIY, for free as long as I'm shipping back to them the faulty RAM :-)

Half a sucess story..will update as soon as the memory will be here :)

volpedue said...

Great news!!!

Two hours ago UPS dropped a small package with the new RAM module! I slipped in, ran tests, more tests, still more tests...everything is okay and now my iMac is back up to its 3GB glory :-)

Yet another Apple support succes story :-) Thank you guys.

Timeline:
Jul 15th, morning, ram died
Jul 16th, morning, called apple support (w/o Apple Care, just normal warranty)
Jul 18th, morning, received replacement part